This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Windows Restart Manager and cygrunsrv services
- From: Bill Stewart <bstewart at iname dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 15:24:00 -0700
- Subject: Re: Windows Restart Manager and cygrunsrv services
- References: <CANV9t=RWS9udBWsfETtKbVNfdkNJNht2qq7-KFTnRpFE2gmnFw@mail.gmail.com> <CANV9t=R_JcAT5V-+kj5FLbpQ5SMvd_fQKjHuVqJGwrhs5M598Q@mail.gmail.com>
On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 9:19 AM Bill Stewart wrote:
> > Any ideas why Restart Manager doesn't work for cygrunsrv services?
> Question also posted on StackOverflow:
> Any insights appreciated.
According to my investigation and understanding as of this writing,
the behavior appears to be as follows:
1. Restart Manager sees the cygrunsrv.exe executable correctly as a
service and as restartable. This is good.
2. However, any executable spawned by cygrunsrv.exe as a service
(e.g., sshd.exe), is seen as NOT restartable for some reason. This is
not so good, and prevents the service from being restarted
automatically by Restart Manager.
I don't know the explanation for this behavior. It seems unintuitive
and is confusing, at the least.
Just a guess: Perhaps this behavior would be resolved if Cygwin
executables used RegisterApplicationRestart ?
In any case, I have an imperfect workaround, but it would be good if
this workaround wasn't necessary.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple