Re: Unexpected behavior from cygpath command

On Nov 13, 2019, at 2:08, Frank Redeker wrote:

> I think on both systems the handling of 8.3 names is configured
> differently. You can check this with the Window command fsutil. (This
> command requires elevated permissions)
>
> I get the following output on my system.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil 8dot3name query d:
> The volume state is: 0 (8dot3 name creation is enabled).
> The registry state is: 2 (Per volume setting - the default).

Thanks, I think this is very interesting, I did not know that such a setting existed.  It was indeed disabled for my E: drive.  However, after enabling it I still can’t get “cygpath -d" to work as expected.  This setting also doesn’t explain why cygpath returns the correct DOS path when I pass it in a Unix style path instead of a Windows style path.

Alfred