Re: How can I determine why gdb throws unknown exceptions when debugging programs with threads on my Cygwin installation?

On 2019-10-25 20:34, Jay P. Elston wrote:
> On October 25, 2019 6:48 AM, Michael Soegtrop wrote:
>> It has been reported in the past that antivirus software from Trend Micro
>> result in STATUS_GUARD_PAGE_VIOLATION in ntdll!RtlAllocateHeap ().
>> See:
>> http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/XWin-startup-crash-x86-64-Windows-10-td126544.html#a126561

> On the advice of Jon Turney, I ran a "bt f" command after gdb caught the
> exception, and it appears that a Trend Micro dll  (TmUmEvt64.dll) is where
> the error occurs:> This is not a Cygwin problem -- the solution is to be to add the Cygwin bin
> directory to Trend Micro's exception list. I will give this a try after I get
> our IT department to do this.
Trend Micro AV product was exploitable last week, from coordinated public
disclosure of a vulnerability on Oct 19, not patched until Oct 25: they were
notified Sep 9, and confirmed the issue Sep 25. Update immediately!
he Trend Micro AV product does not seem to perform as well, or rate as highly,
as the default, free MS Windows Defender, and other better AV packages.
Some of their vulnerabilities seem head-slappingly obviously *BAD*, like the
latest, allowing any malware called cmd.exe or regedit.exe to be downloaded from
anywhere and run without any checks!