Re: tcl-tk-dev X dependencies?

On 2019-09-22 00:06, lloyd.wood.yahoo.co.uk via cygwin wrote:
> gcc -O2 -DNO_ZLIB -Wall -Wextra -Wconversion -pedantic -I./include -c -o main.o main.c
> In file included from ./include/tcl_utils.h:40:0,
>                  from main.c:38:
> /usr/include/tk.h:96:13: fatal error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
>  #   include <X11/Xlib.h>
>              ^~~~~~~~~~~~
> compilation terminated.
>
> I'm reasonably sure that selecting and installing the tcl-tk-devel package
> (8.6.whatever) should include the X libraries and libX11-devel as a
> dependency as well, without having to figure it out and install libX11-devel
> yourself. The (very old) Insight Tcl (4) didn't need X, this one does.

tcl-tk-devel 8.5.18-1 had all those dependencies, but 8.6.6-1 and 8.6.8-1
dropped those, [possibly because the view of the target for tcl-tk-devel shifted
from low level X11 development to high level tcl development, or possibly
because ongoing replacement of X by EGL-based alternatives like Android and
Wayland eliminate the X requirement] so the new setup does not require them, and
may uninstall them on upgrade from the old release, so they would need to be
reinstalled manually if you use them:
setup... -P 'cygwin-devel libX11-devel libXext-devel libXft-devel
libXrender-devel libXss-devel libbz2-devel libexpat-devel libfontconfig-devel
libfreetype-devel libpng16-devel tcl-tk-devel'.

Perhaps you should be using the Xming development package sources rather than
Cygwin/X devel packages, which may not be at the same release as Xming?

> (aside: I'm using XMing for all local X display stuff on Cygwin and the
> Windows Linux Subsystem, so the X stuff I install under Cygwin is minimal.
> Anyone else doing this?)

Nope - preferred Cygwin/X as better integrated and more standard.