Re: More on Win7 update messing up HOME

On 8/16/19, David Karr wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:32 AM Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:

>> > I checked "Environment Variables" in control panel, and I'm not setting
>> > anything beginning with "HOME" in either user or system variables.
>>
>> That check is not really useful, though.
>>
>> You need to look at the actual environment constructed for a user
>> process, at run-time.  About the easiest is to start a Windows command
>> shell (Start->Run "cmd") and look at the output of the "set" command.
>>
>> In cases of looking for names starting with some prefix, like here, you
>> can narrow down the search:
>>
>>         set HOME
>>

> That just results in:
>
>     HOMEDRIVE=C:
>     HOMEPATH=\Users\<myuid>
>
> I detailed this in another reply, but this would fit one of those checks,
> which should result in "C:\Users\<myuid>", which is my Windows home
> directory, which does exist.  I don't want it to use this, but it's not
> anyway.  It's resulting in "/" as my Cygwin home.

Have you checked /etc/nsswitch.conf yet?
$ cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
#    This file is read once by the first process in a Cygwin process tree.
#    To pick up changes, restart all Cygwin processes.  For a description
#    see https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-nsswitch
#
# Defaults:
# passwd:   files db