Re: Regression (last snapshot)

> On Jul 29 17:23, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> Yes, of course.  I should have realized this since it's exactly what I
>>> did under gdb.  Anyway, the result is the same as it was under gdb: If
>>> I run the command under strace, I don't see the broken pipe error.
>>>
>>> Is it possible that debugging causes an fd to the read end of the pipe
>>> to stay open longer, thereby preventing the error?
>>
>> The fact that you observe it sporadically points to a race condition.
>> Debugging serializes stuff usually running in parallel, potentially
>> eliminating the race.
>
> Is there any chance this is a BLODA problem?

I doubt it.  I'm seeing this on two different computers, and I haven't seen any
other symptoms suggesting BLODA.

>  If /dev/fd/63 doesn't
> exist in ls, it would mean ls didn't inherit the FIFO, which sounds
> very unlikely.

Actually I never saw an ls error saying /dev/fd/63 doesn't exist, except in my
incorrect run of strace.

Here's the error that I can reproduce easily in xterm:

$ ls <(grep bash .bashrc)
/dev/fd/63
grep: write error: Broken pipe

This happens 98% of the time.  Notice that I used plain 'ls' rather than the
original 'ls -lL'.  With the latter, I get the broken pipe error 60% of the time
rather than 98%:

$ ls -lL <(grep bash .bashrc)
pr-------- 1 kbrown None 0 2019-07-29 14:46 /dev/fd/63
grep: write error: Broken pipe

What about the explanation I tried earlier, but perhaps not clearly: ls prints
/dev/fd/63 and then exits, thereby closing the read end of the pipe, while grep
(running asynchronously) hasn't finished writing to the write end of the pipe.

The fact that I get the broken pipe error more often with plain 'ls' than with
'ls -lL' is consistent with that.  And the fact that I get no errors with 'cat
<(grep bash .bashrc)' is also consistent with it, since cat doesn't exit until
grep has finished writing.

On the other hand, this doesn't explain why I see the error only under xterm,
nor does it explain why you can't reproduce it at all.

Ken