Re: carriage return newline being appended when using redirection in binary mode

On 2019-04-15 05:56, chris.day@pinky.co.uk wrote:
> CYGWIN_NT-10.0 edmund 3.0.6(0.338/5/3) 2019-04-06 16:18 x86_64 Cygwin
> I'm having problems with carriage return newline being appended when using
> redirection in binary mode. If I pipe to cat and redirect the newline is
> preserved, which is odd.

You would appear to be using Windows console cmd builtin echo, which adds \r
before \n, instead of another shell builtin echo.
Your results are not consistent with what I get running under either cmd, where
" quotes and \r are always passed thru, or Cygwin bash, where " quotes are
stripped but \r is always passed thru using cmd /c echo.
Are you using settings or an msys or mingw shell that uses different rules from
current Cygwin defaults?
The results from commands "type -a echo" and "which -a echo" may shed light.