Re: Problem with zombie processes

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 12:58 PM Erik Bray wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 11:54 PM, Mark Geisert wrote:
> > Erik Bray wrote:

> >> To be clear, wait4() is not called from Python until the script
> >> explicitly calls p.wait().
> >> In other words, when run this step by step (e.g. in gdb) I don't see a
> >> wait4() call until the point where the script explicitly waits().  I
> >> don't see any reason Python would do this behind the scenes.
> >

> > You're right.  I missed the wait in your script and ASSumed too much of the
> > Python interpreter :-( .

> >> Perhaps the Python script is a red herring.  I just wrote it to
> >> demonstrate the problem.  The difference between where I send stdout
> >> to is strange, but you're likely right that it just comes down to
> >> subtle timing differences.  Here's a C program that demonstrates the
> >> same issue more reliably.  Interestingly, it works when I run it in
> >> strace (probably just because of the strace overhead) but not when I
> >> run it normally.
> >>
> >> My point in all this is I'm confused why Cygwin would give up its
> >> handles to the Windows process before wait() has been called.
> >>
> >> (In fact, it's pretty confusing to have fopen returning EINVAL which
> >> according to [1] it should only be doing if the mode string were
> >> invalid.)
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Erik
> >>
> >> [1] http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/fopen.html
> >

> > O.K., you may be on to something amiss in the Cygwin DLL.  Thanks for the
> > STC in C; that'll help somebody looking further at this.  I'm out of ideas.
> > It might be possible to reduce strace overhead somewhat by selecting a
> > smaller set of trace options than the default.
>
> Note: My previous test program had a bug in do_child() (not correctly
> terminating the argv array).  The attached program fixes the bug.
> I've also attached a (truncated) strace log from it.

With apologies for re-raising a 2 year old thread; I've finally been
back to working on my port of psutil [1].  I was getting some
confusing errors reading the /proc/[pid]/stat files of recently
created processes that had quickly become zombified.  I had completely
forgotten about this issue until I saw that trying to read the stat
file was resulting in EINVAL ("invalid argument") and something about
that ringed a bell.

So, I can confirm that this is still an issue.  Apparently I wrote
that I had a patch to Cygwin for this.  I have no idea where that
patch is but I'll look for it, or try to reproduce it.  I think the
idea for the patch was to at least make a zombie process's stat file
readable so that the status flag ("Z") can be read, and maybe fill the
remaining fields with 0.

Once I find and/or reproduce that patch I'll submit it to cygwin-patches.

[1] https://psutil.readthedocs.io/en/latest/