Re: Cygwin 3.0.1-1 Breaks ALL cygwin applications on Windows 7 x64

On Feb 27 19:11, L A Walsh wrote:
> On 2/27/2019 12:50 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > The fix was this one:
> > https://cygwin.com/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=commitdiff;h=18c203fb6eb
> > Corinna
> >

> ----
> My question would be related to the comment with the fix:
>
>     "made sure all user and group names are case-correct"
>
> Since windows seems to adhere to the rule:
> "Case preserving", but "case ignoring", what does it
> mean to make sure all user and group names are
> case-correct?

This all started here:

followed up with

tl;dr: The easy and fast way out didn't work for accounts from
other domains than the machine's primary domain due to caching.

So I thought it's a good idea to fetch the correct groupnames by an
additional LDAP call, but the performance hit is apparently too high in
some environments.

This is all more or less moot as soon as OpenSSH 8.0 comes out, which
will contain patches to handle user and group names case-insensitive,
finally.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen