Re: sshd: computer name's case must match?

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 5:25 AM Corinna Vinschen
<corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> > sshd checks usernames case-sensitive against their name stored in the
> > user DB.  The problem that you can use differently cased usernames
> > here is that the Windows function for checking the name is case-
> > insensitive, so it takes the username any way it comes in and
> > sshd eventually checks against the wrongly cased name.
> >
> > I fixed that partially in Cygwin by making sure that the account name
> > stored in the internal passwd/group info is stored case-correct:
> > https://cygwin.com/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=commitdiff;h=9a3cc77b2afc
> >
> > So if you have a domain DOMAIN and a user xyz
> >
> > $ getent passwd DoMaIn+XyZ
> >
> > Prior to the above patch  it returned
> >
> >   DOMAIN+XyZ:...
> >
> > Now it will return
> >
> >   DOMAIN+xyz:...
> >
> > The problem is this:  If the account is from another domain than the
> > local machine or the machine domain, the call to LookupAccountSid to fix
> > the account name won't fix the account name.
> >
> > Apparently the account name is cached on the local machine in exactly
> > the same spelling as has been used when asking for the account the first
> > time.  I still have to find a way to workaround that.
>
> That should be fixed now as well.  I uploaded new developer snaps to
> https://cygwin.com/snapshots/  and will generate YA test release later
> today.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

Now the problem is that the username must be specified with the correct case.

It used to work with COMPUTERNAME+username - where 'username' might
contain an uppercase character, but I could type it in all lower-case.

Now I have to type the username in all correct case, which seems unexpected.

>From a Windows perspective, usernames are case-retentive but not
case-sensitive, so this behavior seems unexpected.

Expected behavior: Ignore case in both computer names and user names.

Thanks!

Bill