gimp crashes due to libSDL1.2_0 problem

gimp crashes for me during its initialization when it is querying plugins. Running it under gdb shows that the crash occurs when gimp (via g_spawn_async) tries to fork a subprocess to run a plugin.

Rather than try to debug this further, I decided to build the latest gimp (2.10.0). With this version of gimp, I get the error

child_info_fork::abort: unable to map C:\cygwin64\bin\cygSDL-1-2-0.dll, Win32 error 1114

at the same point instead of an immediate crash. Running gimp under strace produced the error message "fork: child 9396 - died waiting for dll loading, errno 11" instead of the "unable to map..." message.

Since cygSDL-1-2-0.dll is brought in via a libgegl package, I rebuilt the latter without SDL support, and that worked around the problem: gimp now finishes its initialization with no errors.

Note that the "unable to map..." error was recently reported for cygSDL2-2-0-0.dll in a different context:

At this point I'm stuck. I don't know what would cause the "unable to map..." error. Could it be something as simple as the libSDL* packages missing some dependencies? I noticed that 'cygcheck /usr/bin/cygSDL-1-2-0.dll' shows no dependencies on Cygwin DLLs other than cygwin1.dll; all the dependencies of libSDL1.2_0 were added manually in the cygport file.

cygcheck output is attached.

Ken