This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Searching full, portable Cygwin package for windows and NOT just the installer
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Ben <bxstover at yahoo dot co dot uk>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 23:57:51 +0300
- Subject: Re: Searching full, portable Cygwin package for windows and NOT just the installer
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Authentication-results: smtp1j.mail.yandex.net; dkim=pass email@example.com
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
> When I go to web page
> then I can download CygWin from there (currently the file "setup-x86_64.exe").
> Unfortunately this file is just an installer which retrieves in turn
> several other files from Internet and remote servers.
> Since I have no overview what is downloaded from which server I distrust such installers in general.
> I prefer full packages which contains everything needed and can be
> inspected in advance (e.g. by virus scanners) before
> actual installation.
> 99,9% of all software is offered in such a way.
Cygwin per se is a single DLL (cygwin1.dll), not a "software" in a
way you perceive it.
> Why use Cygwin such a fishy distribution way?
Normal distribution way. 99.9% operating systems are distributed the same way.
> Is there really no full package to download?
Define "full package"? How "full"? "Package" of what?
With best regards,
Sunday, February 4, 2018 23:54:12
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple