Re: Proper way to run emacs from desktop

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:
> On 01/11/2017 21:57, David Karr wrote:

> Just '--display :0.0' is probably better, as it won't stop working when the
> Xserver is run without '-listen tcp'...

Sounds like a good idea, but I noticed that this change produces a
very odd side effect, and I've verified that going back makes it not
happen. I've tested going back and forth multiple times, with
repeatable results.

Normally, when I start emacs, the window appears in a particular
location, and with a particular height (and width, but I don't set
that).

I believe this is configured by the following lines in my .emacs file:
-----------------
(set-frame-position (selected-frame) 0 0)
(set-frame-height (selected-frame) 60)

Setting the frame height to 60 results in a window that spans most of
the vertical space of my desktop.

Curiously, when I remove the "127.0.0.1" from the "display" option,
emacs starts up in the same location, but with about 2/3 of the
expected window height.  The window is easily expandable, but I'd
rather it be the height that I have configured initially.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe what I'm seeing, but I've gone back
and forth multiple times, and it's completely repeatable.  Could this
be caused by something odd in my X resources tree?