Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: libreadline7-7.0.3-3

On 04/14/2017 11:33 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 13:48:04, Eric Blake wrote:
>> Is it still a problem with pselect, where rebuilding with the same
>> configuration as 7.0.1-2 fixes things?

I've got some time today to look at building readline, but for the life
of me, I can't figure out what I'm supposed to be debugging.  You have
so many emails saying "see this earlier URL" that I am lost in what you
are saying is wrong or how to reproduce it.

I'm currently testing with:

bash 4.4.12-3
cygwin 2.8.2-1
libreadline7 7.0.3-3 (or self-built)

> I'm really not sure how to even
>> go about debugging this one, and it's not my highest priority at the
>> moment (I've got coreutils 8.27 to build for cygwin, and autoconf 2.70
>> to release upstream).  So any help is welcome.
>
> Ok. I have not gone through the whole commit, as it is huge:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-01/msg00204.html
>
> but I did find something. Using:
>
>    git checkout readline-7.0-alpha~1
>
> for the last good commit and:
>
>    git checkout readline-7.0-alpha
>
> for the first bad commit, I found that the change to the "rl_insert"
> function in
> "text.c" breaks pasting and Alt codes with "chcp.com 65001". Can you
> work with
> this?

Thanks again for trying to narrow things down.  I have recompiled
readline locally with optimizations turned off (so it's easier for me to
see what's going on), and am set up to run gdb on bash with a given
readline executable installed.  If you have really narrowed the problem
to rl_insert(), that's at least something I can investigate.

But where I'm stuck now is what works for you and what you think is
wrong.  Is this something where I can start bash under mintty, or do I
have to start under cmd?  Right there, I already see a difference with
the two environments.  Starting from cmd, I did:

c:\cygwin\bin> od -tx1
<Alt-num2-num3-num4><Enter><Ctrl-d>

which displayed
00000000 ce a9 0z
0000003

so I did indeed insert GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA U+03A9.

But trying the same thing under a bash session in minty shows:

0000000 c3 aa 0a
0000003

so that is not the same character.  I'm not sure if a code page change
is supposed to alter what I see.

So I'm back to cmd to try and debug things.  Next, I tried:

c:\cygwin\bin> .\dash
<alt-num2-num3-num4>

and again got Ω; pressing <enter> complains that ./dash: 1: Ω: not found

However, when I try:

c:\cygwin\bin> .\bash --norc
<alt-num2-num3-num4>

the display shows :\251

and hitting <Enter> wipes out that display without doing anything.  So I
_think_ I'm running into the problem you're describing, but want to make
sure, since it is different based on whether I started bash from cmd or
from mintty.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266