Poor display of remote X-application if running without local window manager

I can use Cygwin-X in multi-window mode locally without any issues.

However, when I start a remote application with the display forwarded
to my local X-Server, the X-forwarding works but the display quality
is awful.  It also appears that the font selection is not what it
should be.

When I start a local X-Server which is managed by XFCE the display is
as expected.

I have captured the difference in a screen shot here: http://imgur.com/6rinh0Y

Both Emacs sessions are on the same remote system.
The problem is similar with other X-Windows apps such as Eclipse.

FWIW, I have never observed the same issue on previous installations
of Cygwin-X.

Any information on how to fix this configuration issue would be highly
appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Manfred