Re: Cygwin install is broken v-a-vis dependencies

On 4/3/2017 8:01 PM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 03/04/2017 23:54, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
> Dan,
> No TOP post here please
>
>> That probably just means there have been updates since
>> last time you installed, and it's trying to update things
>> you installed before (or that get installed by default).
>>
>> Try running setup, don't change anything, and let it finish.
>> That will grab all the updates you need.  After that, it'll
>> behave the way you expect.
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 2:47 PM, dmh@ucar.edu <dmh@ucar.edu> wrote:
>>> Whenever I go to install a package, I get a list
>>> of 50 other packages that it claims need to be installed.
>>> I know that list is both bogus and contains items I explicitly
>>> need to not oinstall (e.g. cmake). What is worse, when I want to
>>> uninstall a package, it gives me that ]same list plus it wants
>>> to install the package I am trying ot uninstall.
>
>>> This just broken.
>
> That is not very descriptive.
>
> As Dan explained the default behavior of cygwin setup is to update
> already installed packages and their dependencies.

Maybe so but even I find that this is cumbersome.  I would prefer a
choice upfront just after the download and parsing of setup.ini if I
want to update previously installed items.  I haven't mentioned it
because I don't have time to help develop that.

--
cyg Simple