Re: Junctions != Symlinks; Treat Junctions as MS-FS mounts; MS-symlinks are symlinks

Greetings, cyg Simple!

>>    Same problem under "/opt" under linux.  "/opt" is
>> a directory on my root partition.  When I wanted to
>> install "VirtualBox" (which lives under "/opt/VirtualBox" it
>> refused to run from a path that had a symlink in it.  How
>> would you solve that?
>>
>>    I used a 'bind' mount.  VirtualBox rejected
>> symlinks in its base path, but it does work with mounted
>> filesystems.
>>
>>    In the same way, not only Cygwin's "setup.exe"
>> but also many of the "install" scripts that install programs
>> under cygwin, check to see if there is a symlink as part
>> of their base path.  If they find one -- they remove it
>> and re-create the directory where there used to be a
>> symlink.  Result: "/usr/share/man/man1/newprog1.gz"
>> s all alone under 'man' as "/usr/share/info/newprog.gz"
>> is by itself under /usr/share/info.   Where did the rest
>> of my files go?
>>
>>    They are still there -- but under
>> "/Users/share/...".  That's my main problem.  Cygwin
>> doesn't install things in "/usr/share/<location>/<prog>"
>> But first, removes all existing symlinks in its base
>> path.
>>

> Have you considered the Windows mountvol to resolve this issue?  Using a
> similar example as above you could use mountvol to assign a VolumeName
> to [A-Z]:/Users/share as e.g. S: and modify the /etc/fstab entry to:

> S:/ /usr/share ntfs binary,posix=0,acl,user,notexec 0 0

The very idea to not use disk letters is to not use disk letters.
Assigning disk letters to volumes defeat the original idea.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...