Re: Strange errors running gcc tests on Cygwin

On 03/05/2017 02:52 AM, Daniel Santos wrote:
> Well, that's the silly thing; when I ran all of this on my patched code,
> I did not get these errors.   I'm planning on re-running them kind-of in
> hopes that I *will* get these errors so that my compare will be clean,
> but to me this is still not good. make check should NEVER be using any
> native compilers or gcc libraries because that would entirely defeat the
> purpose of doing the tests. I would like to understand what it causing
> this.  Perhaps it is some type of regression?  Note that it claims to be
> setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH with this directory as the second element:
>

> Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
> .:/d/builds/head-test-unpatched-x86_64-pc-cygwin/x86_64-pc-cygwin/./libgfortran/.libs:/d/builds/head-test-unpatched-x86_64-pc-cygwin/x86_64-pc-cygwin/./libquadmath/.libs:/d/builds/head-test-unpatched-x86_64-pc-cygwin/gcc:.:/d/builds/head-test-unpatched-x86_64-pc-cygwin/x86_64-pc-cygwin/./libgfortran/.libs:/d/builds/head-test-unpatched-x86_64-pc-cygwin/x86_64-pc-cygwin/./libquadmath/.libs:/d/builds/head-test-unpatched-x86_64-pc-cygwin/gcc
>
> spawn [open ...]
> D:/builds/head-test-unpatched-x86_64-pc-cygwin/gcc/testsuite/gfortran2/sync_3.exe:
> error while loading shared libraries: cyggfortran-4.dll: cannot open

Cygwin does NOT use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, Cygwin uses PATH like all Windows
programs. It is one aspect that does not conform to *nix expectations.

Running tests under Cygwin is also complicated by the condition all DLLs
do not get rebased at runtime, or a fork() can fail.

> This further implies that, if it is looking in the local environment for
> a library and not the build tree, then *all* test results could be
> invalid due to it using compilers and libraries locally installed rather
> than from the build tree, which would be very bad -- a regression that
> hides other regressions!
>
> As much as I just want to get my own tests done, I suppose I better
> debug this. *sigh*
>
> Daniel

I suppose you can try to run s/LD_LIBRARY_PATH/PATH/g to see how it goes.