Re: "Copy until full" tool

On 17 January 2017 at 01:57, Andrea Venturoli  wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've got a 2TB backup HD which is filled with several copies (at different times) of the same data; in other words, I could have the following directories:
>
> Data20170117
> Data20170110
> Data20170103
> Data20161220
> User20170117
> User20170110
> User20170103
> User20161220
> DB20170117
> DB20170110
> DB20170103
> DB20161220
>

> Now I periodically need to copy this HD to another one, which is, alas, only 1TB.
> So I'd like to only transfer the most recent copies, either until the disk is full or by specifying a number of "copies" to keep. Of course the older ones should be deleted.
>
> Think rsync (which I've been using extensibly), but with a size barrier.

This is not specifically a cygwin solution, but I am using it with my
cygwin installation as well as interesting parts of my windows
installation.

Restic is a program that does backups right.

home page: https://restic.github.io/
documentation: https://restic.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
source: https://github.com/restic/restic

Read the home page. I think it meets its design goals very well.

HTH,
Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com