Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 13:08:30, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Alt-numpad-decimal e.g. Alt234 depends on the console codepage selected.

I tested this on Windows 7 in a pristine virtual machine, and cmd.exe passes
just fine, even with code page 437 and crappy raster font. Meanwhile bash.exe
fails.

> Mintty selection of Options/Text/Locale and Character set UTF-8 or cmd
> chcp 65001 selects Unicode.

No one said anything about Mintty. This is about bash.exe, launched by itself
or via Cygwin.bat

> Alt-numpad-+-hex (on regular keys) allows hex unicode input e.g.
> Alt+3a9 if the font supports the character.

No one said anything about hex input.

> Free text fonts which support Unicode character emojis are updated
> regularly.
> Look for Cygwin packages matching ...font... containing Truetype or
> Opentype fonts, and just copy them to Windows/Fonts e.g.

A font does not need to be installed. Raster, Consolas and Lucida all work
already through cmd.exe.

I do appreciate your response, but all you have done here is thrown a bunch of
guesses at the wall hoping something would stick. It would be a better use of
everyones time if you actually tested your suggestions before posting them.