Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.876)

> On Sep 10, 2016, at 12:07 PM, Thomas Wolff <towo@towo.net> wrote:
>
> Am 10.09.2016 um 07:57 schrieb Wayne Davison:
>> On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 2:35 AM, Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz@cygwin.com> wrote:
>>> A new version of Setup, release 2.876, has been uploaded to [...]
>> The change from a button to a dropdown list for the View seems like a
>> nice usability improvement,
> I disagree with that, because what I want to check first is the Pending view, to see what's supposed to be updated anyway. This is more fiddly now than it was. Perhaps separate buttons (radio buttons) for the views would be best.

I disagree with that. A dropdown list is exactly the right treatment for a list o’ things.
But, and I realize SHTDI, and that someone is not me, perhaps a “for the future” item would be a way to specify which view to start on, either through a command line option or through a kept choice.

I also agree with OP’s request for a hotkey on View, although standard behavior of such a hotkey would be to position the cursor in the dropdown and open it, not automatically choose the “next” item in the dropdown. I can see the benefit of the latter, though.

But, more importantly (for me, anyway), can we please put the dropdown in the tab list? Tabbing out of the pick list goes to the Search text box, as it should. Shift-tabbing from the Search text box to go back to the Dropdown, however, instead goes to the Cancel button at the bottom of the page. If we can tab out of it, we should be able to tab (or shift-tab) back into it.

Finally, a question — what is “Picked”? It wasn’t one of the previous choices, and I can’t figure out what it’s supposed to represent.
I have seven items on that page, all of which say “Keep”, and which in no way represents all of what I’ve installed. I have nothing on Pending, having updated in my previous session. (Even then, I only had one thing to update, but still had the same seven items on “Picked”.) I thought it might be things that setup “picked” for me based on the choices I’ve made, but that doesn’t appear to be true, either, based on the above — not only am I not installing anything, but all of the items say “Keep”.

On the pedantic side, why is “Category” the starting view, but the last item in the dropdown?

Thanks for tackling setup, Jon. From all reports here it’s something of a nightmare. :)