Re: CYGWIN_NOWINPATH (was Re: /etc/profile: avoid multiple /usr/bin in PATH)

On Sep  5 10:36, Doug Henderson wrote:
> On 5 September 2016 at 10:04, Jim Reisert AD1C  wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 10:07 PM, Doug Henderson wrote:
> >
> >> Note that CYGWIN_NOWINPATH is still undocumented, except in the email
> >> archives. See, e.g.
> >>
> >>     https://www.google.ca/search?q=CYGWIN_NOWINPATH+site:cygwin.com
> >>
> >> CYGWIN_USEWINPATH is also undocumented, except in a non-cygwin.com
> >> email archive.
> >
> > CYGWIN_NOWINPATH is not working for me.
> >
> > CYGWIN_NT-10.0-WOW AD1C 2.6.0(0.304/5/3) 2016-08-31 14:27 i686 Cygwin
> >
> > d:\>printenv | grep CYG
> > CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning
> > CYGWIN_NOWINPATH=1
> >
> > When I start bash, I still get my full Windows path as part of the
> > bash path.  Am I missing something?
> >
> > I have neither a ~/.login or ~/.profile, only a ~/.bashrc
>
> I set CYGWIN_NOWINPATH=1 in my user environment variables, i.e. in
> registry, not in a cmd shell. I expect it needs to be seen when the
> first cygwin1.dll instance starts, so you would need to stop all
> cygwin processes and servers, just like you do when you run the cygwin
> setup, for this to be effective.

Ouch, no!  Environment variables are handed down from parent to child
process.  On all systems, be it Windows, Cygwin, Linux or whatever.
There's *no* other magic involved.  It's just a bunch of strings
inherited from the parent process.

Corinna

Red Hat