This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: look: no words file
- From: Brian Inglis <Brian dot Inglis at SystematicSw dot ab dot ca>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 16:02:03 +0000 (UTC)
- Subject: Re: look: no words file
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20160711190516.GA3085@server2.tzongtze.com>
David Arnstein <arnstein <at> pobox.com> writes:
> Wnen I type something like
> look mental
> I get
> look: /usr/share/dict/words: No such file or directory
> In fact, directory /usr/share/dict does not even exist.
> Rather than trying to diagnose this problem, I would like to re-install the
> relevant package(s). So far, I have tried util-linux and bash-completion. No
> improvement. Any other suggestions?
FSF/GNU package miscfiles provides /usr/share/dict/ and other files, but is
not packaged for Cygwin, although it is available on most Unix distros.
You can easily download, install the contents, add a symlink from
/usr/share/dict/web2 -> words (for compatibility), or you can run look -a to
use web2 instead of words.
If you have a handy Unix system, you could just scp the files over to Cygwin.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple