Re: strange behaviour of 'ls'

Thomas Wolff writes:
> Like for grep which now barfs out when a character isnât recognized in
> the current encoding (and grep doesnât even provide an environment
> variable to override this mis-feature), these assumedly-modern
> upstream changes are a nuisance.

You are barking up the wrng tree, please take that upstream.

> For ls at least, it can be fixed with the environment variable
> QUOTING_STYLE but that isnât even mentioned in the manual page!%Ââ
> â Poor old Unix tradition fades away.
>
> What about adding
> export QUOTING_STYLE=literal
> to /etc/profile as a fix?

No, but you're free to do whatever you wish in /etc/profile.d (or lobby
the coreutils maintiner to provide it with the package, although I'd
suggest that it shouldn't get installed by default).

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: