This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Don't I get /etc/profile with a fresh installation?
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Gerrit Haase <gerrit dot haase at gmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 16:38:36 +0300
- Subject: Re: Don't I get /etc/profile with a fresh installation?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CA+Fg1xbJcaBO9UYvN4TFs8GFhTnGWcWWwg+TtuqukA_peHvhcQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Gerrit Haase!
> I have some business to do with Cygwin, again. Yeah!
> I have a fresh installation now, but found, there is no /etc/profile,
> no PATH set besides the Windows inherited PATH, so of course I can not
> use the shell, e.g.
> -bash-4.3$ which ls
> -bash: which: command not found
> Also after first invocation of the Shell, there is no HOME directory
> created, no files in the Windows Users directory etc.
> Back then there was some postinstallation script which was creating
> basic files like /etc/profile and other basic things were created with
> the first login, like /home/<user> directory, including basic files
> Regards, I think this was working better years ago back in the old
> days of Cygwin B20, err... 1.5 or 1.7.
I've installed 2 or 3 Cygwin suites from scratch in the last year and it was
fine. If anything cropped up, it is either very recent, or local to your
environment. Check setup logs for any discrepancies.
And, of course,
> Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
> Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
With best regards,
Tuesday, March 15, 2016 16:37:10
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple