This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Latest X11 and num lock key.
- From: K Stahl <kdstahl at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 15:24:53 -0500
- Subject: Latest X11 and num lock key.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
Performed an update today (2016-01-14) which included the a new version of X11.
When I started my window manager (FluxBox) I noticed that I could not
use my numeric keypad.
I found this odd as my keyboard stated that num lock was indeed turned on.
I performed a google search and discovered that this is a known issue
in newer versions of X and believed to be a function of the window
manager to handle. Note, some window managers have the ability to
enable/disable the num lock key, but unfortunately, mine does not.
A little more research and I discovered a little tool called
'numlockx'. I had to download the source package from an Ubuntu
repository, but I was able to build it without issue.
If anyone else has the same problem as I, then you will need to
perform the following:
1. Download the source package.
2. Extract the tarball
3. ./configure && make && make install
4. Before you start your window manager (normally a config script) add
the command: numlockx &
In my case, my ~/.fluxbox/startup script looks something like:
Would it be possible for a X11 maintainer to add numlockx to the
official cygwin repository?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple