This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Windows XP Support
- From: Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 09:25:36 -0700
- Subject: Re: Windows XP Support
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <56924AB1 dot 1070903 at gmx dot de> <20160111115221 dot GC32610 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
On Jan 11, 2016, at 4:52 AM, Corinna Vinschen <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> Continuing support for XP and Server 2003 is really becoming a
> burden. It requires to code and maintain workarounds which are not
> required anymore in newer OSes, so I really would like to get rid of
> that stuff.
I seem to recall you saying that Vista added a fork-like facility to the kernel which might let Cygwin implement a copy-on-write fork(2). Would dropping XP support allow that?
If so, that would probably speed Cygwin up quite a bit in many common use cases: running autoconf configure scripts, Makefiles, etc.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple