Re: Issues encountered with new Cygwin version

On 9/26/2015 6:10 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

> On 9/26/2015 5:05 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>
> > Greetings, Walter L.!
> >
> > > This is very unfortunate because I'm using Git in Cygwin
> > > specifically because it doesn't set the executable bit like Windows
> > > applications.
> >
> > This is, you know, configurable?...
>
> Which part? Git or Cygwin? You mean I can configre Cygwin to prevent Git
> from creating files that inherit the executable bit from the ACL?

I don't mean to be nit-picking, but the way you phrased this questions
suggests that you have some misconceptions about what's going on here.

No. There's no misconception here. I understood perfectly well from the
explanation in your last email.

1. Starting with Cygwin 1.7.34, the "group permissions" of a file reflect
not only the permissions of the primary group of the file, but also all
secondary user and group entries in the file's ACL.

So if you're seeing an unexpected executable permission, it's because the
file has an ACL entry giving executable permission to some user or group
other than the primary ones.  You can see these ACL entries by running
getfacl on the file.

Thanks Ken. I get that.

2. If the directory has *default* ACL entries, then these entries, by
default, will be inherited by files created in that directory (by Git or
any other application).

If you don't want files created in that directory to inherit the
corresponding entries, then you need to get rid of those unwanted default
ACL entries.  The simplest way is to run 'setfacl -b' on the directory, as
explained in the FAQ cited above and in my earlier email.

Thanks again... I get that as well, and I've went ahead and ran 'setfacl -b'
on a top-level directory that contains all my projects per your suggestion
from the previous email. All is well.

My question was merely based on Andrey's statement that "This is
configurable" (see above); I don't know what he meant and what "this" is,
Git or Cygwin. If by saying "This is configurable" he meant running
'setfacl -b' on the top-level directory, then I simply misunderstood his
statement; I was just misinterpreting "configurable" meaning setting "noacl"
or something like that to the file system or the environment.

Since there are usually more than one way to do something, I was just
wondering if Andrey knew of another way to handle the permission issue by
the way of some configuration setting.

Regards,
~WL