This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Bash / cygwin process spawning (?) performance very slow
- From: litter at null dot net
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 19:24:05 +0200
- Subject: Re: Bash / cygwin process spawning (?) performance very slow
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
> On 24/09/2015 11:57, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
>> Obviously something is. The FAQ entry does not mention performance, but real failures.
>> How to further diagnose this?
I took the plunge and spent almost a full day trying to find the cause.
1. Booting into Safe Mode gave a huge performance boost
2. By eliminating all services and programs in Normal Mode, one-by-one, I found the offender:
turns out that Comodo Firewall (Free version) loads a DLL in each process that is the cause of the delay.
Although I only use the Firewall, and do not use any "AntiVirus" features, still it causes delay during startup of a process.
However, after disabling it -- which did speed up process spawning in Bash -- I encountered the other problem I already had much more often.
For now I consider the issue of slow spawning to be solved
(although it would have been nice if there was an easier way to diagnose it, maybe with tracing?)
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple