This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Question about old win32 api
- From: Michael Enright <mike at kmcardiff dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 10:16:21 -0700
- Subject: Re: Question about old win32 api
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <A8FCEC4C682E094AAB49CE0CE41E28EA18502B88 at EXCHMB06 dot is dot l-3com dot com> <1442854377 dot 11704 dot 18 dot camel at cygwin dot com> <A8FCEC4C682E094AAB49CE0CE41E28EA18502C2E at EXCHMB06 dot is dot l-3com dot com> <1195136399 dot 20150921222509 at yandex dot ru> <CAOC2fq-WaBg1aug_iG92Z3B7PvYD+EmpsWhCdS7HHDW0JZMijQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <5600691F dot 2090204 at gmail dot com> <CAOC2fq8XD9kx8VbVoWf0pZ3+iX5Xp-Sx18mabnn75WwKkAVwVw at mail dot gmail dot com> <C4D33CAB-A685-45B6-B970-0328B58869E2 at solidrocksystems dot com> <CAOC2fq_Qsq4CLv2Oc3f797JZCrANBqyY_RsgGbLVjT0+RaJ4eQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <684FB57D-F0F8-4BB9-AB72-7D58F91FEFE9 at solidrocksystems dot com>
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 9:16 PM, Vince Rice wrote:
> The blindness was, as Iâve already pointed out, caused by blindly
> updating software
No one was "updating"! I have diagnosed what I did "wrong" before and
I am satisfied with my conclusion. I don't yet know of a way to keep
changes from affecting me, but I know some things I can do to be
prepared for the changes that might happen, so I'm doing those things.
No one was updating. New workers needed new Windows boxes with Cygwin
on them. What is the process for putting Cygwin on a new Windows box?
It isn't "rsync Cygwin from IT".
Cygwin's default (or only) distribution method has a role to play in
this. Does anyone ever setup Cygwin on a new Windows install other
than by downloading setup_x86.exe or setup_x86-64.exe and working from
there? Is any such alternative given equal priority on cygwin.com ?
I am interested to hear if anyone has managed a group of Cygwin users
and the configuration they use, and how they went about it.
More out there, I'm interested in thoughts about making it possible to
tell a group such as a customer base (a group of autonomous,
free-will-possessing individual organizations) how to setup Cygwin so
a non-Cygwin component can be added on top and work even though it
might not still work with a regular default fresh Cygwin.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple