This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Question about old win32 api
- From: Vince Rice <vrice at solidrocksystems dot com>
- To: Cygwin Mailing List <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 23:16:18 -0500
- Subject: Re: Question about old win32 api
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <A8FCEC4C682E094AAB49CE0CE41E28EA18502B88 at EXCHMB06 dot is dot l-3com dot com> <1442854377 dot 11704 dot 18 dot camel at cygwin dot com> <A8FCEC4C682E094AAB49CE0CE41E28EA18502C2E at EXCHMB06 dot is dot l-3com dot com> <1195136399 dot 20150921222509 at yandex dot ru> <CAOC2fq-WaBg1aug_iG92Z3B7PvYD+EmpsWhCdS7HHDW0JZMijQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <5600691F dot 2090204 at gmail dot com> <CAOC2fq8XD9kx8VbVoWf0pZ3+iX5Xp-Sx18mabnn75WwKkAVwVw at mail dot gmail dot com> <C4D33CAB-A685-45B6-B970-0328B58869E2 at solidrocksystems dot com> <CAOC2fq_Qsq4CLv2Oc3f797JZCrANBqyY_RsgGbLVjT0+RaJ4eQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Sep 21, 2015, at 8:11 PM, Michael Enright <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Vince Rice wrote:
> The blindness was blindness to the fact that new users were getting a
> different version than existing users in some way other than fixing
The blindness was, as Iâve already pointed out, caused by blindly
updating software without knowing the reason for the update. Had
you/they been doing so, you/they would have known there was a
âdifferentâ version. Again, it was _announced_ as being âdifferentâ.
Software changes. It changes whether you, or I, like it or not. It
changes for lots of reasons, some of them you/I might agree with,
some of them you/I might not agree with. Nevertheless, it changes.
Telling us it changed, and why, is good practice for software providers.
That was done here. Reading why it changed, and knowing how that
will affect us, is good practice for software users. That apparently
wasnât done here. The fault does not lie with the software provider.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple