This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: [cygwin] Re: Is a disk image created within dd "safe"?
- From: "Jason Pyeron" <jpyeron at pdinc dot us>
- To: <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 18:23:18 -0400
- Subject: RE: [cygwin] Re: Is a disk image created within dd "safe"?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CA+imRYKfrvgVWUSh4=9tsF=QxjKGfPoiE-nRfVF7rbWO1v-b8A at mail dot gmail dot com> <CA+imRYLmnThTV-7=JQ_viDLk65HeO+2sUdxN+ThGkML6=k=iQw at mail dot gmail dot com> <55E772CF dot 4070807 at redhat dot com>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Eric Blake
> Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 6:06 PM
> On 09/02/2015 03:57 PM, Clint Olsen wrote:
> > I'm also interested in generating images to preserve the
> entire disk.
> > What I'm wondering is whether doing this on a live system through
> > Cygwin would produce a safe, bootable disk image or if the the APIs
> > that Cygwin has to use or having the disk mounted would make this
> > unreliable?
<snip> don't do it with out snapshots... </snip>
> There are various solutions that CAN capture an accurate
> point-in-time disk snapshot.
For cygwin/Windows use the Volume Shadow Service (VSS). I have used (XP)
cygwin dd and rsync to take (clone) images from the VSS managed drive.
- Jason Pyeron PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant 10 West 24th Street #100 -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333 Baltimore, Maryland 21218 -
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple