Re: Cygwin X11 server won't start

On 04/07/2015 07:27, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
I am happy to report that I found the culprit.  While installing
another piece of software today, "Lavasoft Web Companion" came along
as a stow-away.  Unfortunately, there is no easy way to remove this
@#$%^& program, and I ended up corrupting my registry in the process.
I was able to restore my C:\ (boot) partition from last night's backup
and all is well now.

NOTE TO SELF: when an installation program offers you advanced
options, LOOK AT THEM!  In my case, there was an option to NOT install
the extra unwanted software.

This is the second report of "Lavasoft Web Companion" causing the X server to fail to start due to failure to run xkbcomp, see [1].

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-06/msg00195.html

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer