This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: tar zxvf won't work with Redhat generated compressed tar file
- From: Eric Blake <eblake at redhat dot com>
- To: Murthy Gandikota <murthy64 at hotmail dot com>, "cygwin at cygwin dot com" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 20:39:17 -0600
- Subject: Re: tar zxvf won't work with Redhat generated compressed tar file
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <COL130-W80F61D41DBC766A5C40206C2E00 at phx dot gbl>,<969800560 dot 20150420222609 at yandex dot ru> <COL130-W78804B6BA04135A92CC2FAC2E00 at phx dot gbl>,<509379965 dot 20150420235036 at yandex dot ru> <COL130-W65B445CB84F1010DEEDA6EC2E00 at phx dot gbl>,<55356CBB dot 9030601 at redhat dot com>,<COL130-W530B6F57CC449D3CD22F44C2E00 at phx dot gbl> <COL130-W103DBAFD945896AC6F7E51C2E00 at phx dot gbl>
On 04/20/2015 05:06 PM, Murthy Gandikota wrote:
>> From: murthy64 AT hotmail.com
>> To: eblake AT redhat.com; cygwin AT cygwin.com
No need to CC me - I read the list. Also, no need to include raw emails
in your reply (we not only ask that you avoid top-posts, but also that
you trim to relevent content).
>> Yes, Sir. It did untar properly. So the problem is with the server compressing during the download (I get the file from a http server)?
You may want to report that to the owner of the website you were
> It would be doubly nice if cygwin handled it ;-)
I'm not going to add a cygwin-specific patch; you'd get the same
behavior on Linux. If you want to convince upstream to do double
uncompression in a single process, then it will eventually percolate
downstream; but I don't think anyone will want to take on a patch like that.
> It seems gunzip had no problem recognizing the file as double compressed.
No. Your manual gunzip removed one layer of compression, then your tar
command (with or without the 'z') ran a second gunzip to remove the
second layer of compression. There was no single process doing double
Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple