This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: tar zxvf won't work with Redhat generated compressed tar file
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Murthy Gandikota <murthy64 at hotmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 22:26:09 +0300
- Subject: Re: tar zxvf won't work with Redhat generated compressed tar file
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <COL130-W80F61D41DBC766A5C40206C2E00 at phx dot gbl>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Murthy Gandikota!
> Hi All
> I am using Cygwin64. I am getting a file from RedHat in tar + zip format.
> Currently I am able to unzip it and untar it in 2 steps as follows:
> $gunzip mytar.gz
> $tar xvf mytar
> However, I would like to do the following:
> $tar -zxvf mytar.gz
> The error message I see is:
> tar: This does not look like a tar archive
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
> Can someone please tell me what is the right way?
tar xvf mytar.gz
I.e. drop filter spec.
tar is smart enough to detect and apply known filters automatically.
With best regards,
Monday, April 20, 2015 22:23:58
Sorry for my terrible english...