This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: tar zxvf won't work with Redhat generated compressed tar file
- From: Murthy Gandikota <murthy64 at hotmail dot com>
- To: Bertrand Caplet <bertrand dot caplet at chunkz dot net>, "cygwin at sourceware dot org" <cygwin at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 19:32:44 +0000
- Subject: RE: tar zxvf won't work with Redhat generated compressed tar file
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <COL130-W80F61D41DBC766A5C40206C2E00 at phx dot gbl>,<55354928 dot 3090004 at chunkz dot net> <COL130-W660D1B575445ACD2340D61C2E00 at phx dot gbl>,<55354CD2 dot 7060407 at chunkz dot net> <COL130-W944A76EC87FAC75AC6DC7BC2E00 at phx dot gbl> <2748d7b76a6248fb853de6541f2582c6 at EX2013DAG-B dot pavlovmedia dot corp>,<553550F1 dot 1050906 at chunkz dot net>
Ran this command on Cygwin64
mytar.gz: gzip compressed data, from Unix
Did you want me to run this command on Linux?
> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:18:09 +0200
> From: firstname.lastname@example.org
> To: email@example.com
> Subject: Re: tar zxvf won't work with Redhat generated compressed tar file
>> I have an old CentOS system, so I copied an existing gzipped tarball from it to my Cygwin and had no difficulties exploding that file. It had extension '.tgz'. Copied it to '.tar.gz' and still had no issue with it.
>> What version of RedHat are you using, and what command(s) created the compressed tarball you're having difficulty with?
>> If you run the 'file' command on the tarball file, what does 'file' say it contains?
>> rake-0.8.4.tar.gz: gzip compressed data, last modified: Wed Mar 4 07:31:25 2009, from Unix
>> Note that some flavors of tar don't have a very powerful compression library, and some don't have one at all. For those old ones you may be forced to use gunzip to get the tarball into a form the old tar understands. (My ancient CentOS box has it, though.)
> I agree with you Joi. Tar relies on content of file not extension.
> Murthy, tell us what file yourfile.tar.gz does say ?
> CHUNKZ.NET - script kiddie and computer technician
> Bertrand Caplet, Flers (FR)
> Feel free to send encrypted/signed messages
> Key ID: 37F70C30
> GPG FP: 134A 4027 518B 5F4D D409 558D BA9B 7BF0 37F7 0C30
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple