This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: tar zxvf won't work with Redhat generated compressed tar file
- From: Daniel <daniel at boland dot nl>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:21:52 +0200
- Subject: Re: tar zxvf won't work with Redhat generated compressed tar file
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <COL130-W80F61D41DBC766A5C40206C2E00 at phx dot gbl>
Murthy Gandikota wrote:
I am using Cygwin64. I am getting a file from RedHat in tar + zip format. Currently I am able to unzip it and untar it in 2 steps as follows:
$tar xvf mytar
However, I would like to do the following:
$tar -zxvf mytar.gz
The error message I see is:
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
Can someone please tell me what is the right way?
One way to get this error if you download the file through a gzipping
proxy web-server. So you have to drop the 'z' when unzipping.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple