Re: Too Many Permissions Stripped In 1.7.35?

On Feb 26 20:47, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Bryan Berns writes:
> > I honestly haven't read up exactly how Cygwin interprets NTFS
> > ACL/ACEs, but I remember seeing on the mailing list that a change was
> > made in 1.7.35 was made to permission handling.  It is preferable in
> > my organization that the SYSTEM account always have full control the
> > local file system.  When using chmod under 1.7.35, it looks like
> > permissions for SYSTEM get stripped (as well as some others).  Is this
> > the desired behavior?
>
> That's the latest attempt to make those tools conform more closely to
> POSIX semantics (which it actually does).  As you note, this is fine if
> that's your goal and undesired or even somewhat dangerous if you aren't
> aware of it and letting them lose on Windows' own files.  I have an
> inkling that (just like acl/noacl) this removal of ACL depending on
> which way you set the file modes should probably be an option to chose
> in the fstab for each mount listed there, especially if it works on bind
> mounts.  However, I'm not sure how much that would complicate the code
> and if it's realistic to expect that to be implemented soon.

That's not really a goal.  The SYSTEM permissions are kind of useless
anyway, given that SYSTEM has permissions to read and write all files
anyway.  I don't see that a rule to add SYSTEM permissions to all files
accomplishes anything which isn't already available anyway.

Corinna

Red Hat