This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Clearing O_NONBLOCK from a pipe may lose data
- From: Lasse Collin <lasse dot collin at tukaani dot org>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 12:45:55 +0200
- Subject: Re: Clearing O_NONBLOCK from a pipe may lose data
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150222220747 dot 789401d2 at tukaani dot org> <20150223105653 dot GG437 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <20150223122345 dot GM437 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <54EC2566 dot 4030703 at towo dot net> <20150224110953 dot GF437 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <20150224161601 dot 68f0a08c at tukaani dot org> <20150224152449 dot GL437 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
On 2015-02-24 Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Feb 24 16:16, Lasse Collin wrote:
> > I'm going to release xz 5.2.1 in a day or two. Should that release
> > have a workaround for this Cygwin bug? The workaround would avoid
> > using O_NONBLOCK on stdout. It adds a race condition to signal
> > handling in xz but it's usually a very minor issue (xz 5.0.x has
> > the race and no one has complained). On the other hand, the fixes
> > to the threading bugs are somewhat important for xz too, so maybe I
> > should just add a note that xz 5.2.x isn't safe on Cygwin yet but
> > will be in the (somewhat) near future?
> Whatever you prefer. I think it's fine to point to using at least
> Cygwin 1.7.35, but if you can live with updating to some 5.2.2 after
> 1.7.35 comes out, the workaround in 5.2.1 would be nice.
> I'm still working on performance improvements in the account handling,
> but when that's settled, I'm going for 1.7.35. Let's say a week or
OK, thanks. I decided to tell people to use 1.7.35 or later. The
threading issues are one reason. Another reason is that if the
workaround is removed in 5.2.2, 5.2.1 will become a special release
that (mostly) worked on older Cygwin versions. I prefer to tell users
of old Cygwin version to use xz 5.0.x.
Lasse Collin | IRC: Larhzu @ IRCnet & Freenode
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple