This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: Very slow Cygwin startup on Windows 7
- From: "Dennis Hagarty (dehagart)" <dehagart at cisco dot com>
- To: "cygwin at cygwin dot com" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 19:04:05 +0000
- Subject: RE: Very slow Cygwin startup on Windows 7
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <3FEEC3A37A0B0A48AA326075128C32EE4DC9F0E8 at xmb-rcd-x01 dot cisco dot com> <87mw4nugdx dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <3FEEC3A37A0B0A48AA326075128C32EE4DC9F137 at xmb-rcd-x01 dot cisco dot com> <869208266 dot 20150210030528 at yandex dot ru> <3FEEC3A37A0B0A48AA326075128C32EE4EE263B8 at xmb-rcd-x01 dot cisco dot com> <20150218111515 dot GL8493 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <3FEEC3A37A0B0A48AA326075128C32EE4EE26DE4 at xmb-rcd-x01 dot cisco dot com> <20150218125429 dot GN8493 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <3FEEC3A37A0B0A48AA326075128C32EE4EE275A7 at xmb-rcd-x01 dot cisco dot com> <20150219103235 dot GD26084 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
>>>>>Can you please try this test version without cygserver, and with
>>>>>the passwd and group settings in /etc/nsswitch.conf set to
>>>>> passwd: db
>>>>> group: db
>>>>> It would be very interesting to know if this improves the situation for you.
>>>> Just did it for 1.7.35-0.2 - I haven't seen 0.3 turn up at a mirror site yet.
>>>It's only just uploaded so it might take another while, depending
>>>on your mirrors. According to Roger's results in
>>>https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-02/msg00543.html, the real problem
>>>hadn't been fixed in the 0.2 test release, so you might give 0.3
>> BTW - I did try ADInsight, but it didn't show me anything (maybe because this is a 64 bit windows?)
>> Anyway, I ran it with 0.3 and nsswitch = db and the result is???
>> 1.68-1.72 seconds
>Hmm. No offense, but are you sure you ran this with 0.3?
I knew you'd doubt me :-)
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 DEHAGART-WS02 1.7.35(0.286/5/3) 2015-02-18 11:32 x86_64 Cygwin
>> With nsswitch = files db it was 1.43-1.45 seconds.
>> With nsswitch = files it was 0.13-0.14 seconds
>> (It seems basically the same as 0.2)
>It would be pretty helpful to get an idea what's so slow in your case.
>Either you get ADInsight working, or... is it ok if I send you a link
>to a debug-augmented DLL via PM?
> Sysinternals "ADInsight" is a 32bit only tool and, in order to work on
> a 64bit Windows you seem to have to manually inject the DLL
> ADInsightDll.dll (which is extracted into %TEMP%) into the target
> (32-bit!) process.
So, it seems ADInsight seems a non-starter - for my skill level anyway.