This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: Very slow Cygwin startup on Windows 7
- From: "Dennis Hagarty (dehagart)" <dehagart at cisco dot com>
- To: "cygwin at cygwin dot com" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 11:41:33 +0000
- Subject: RE: Very slow Cygwin startup on Windows 7
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <3FEEC3A37A0B0A48AA326075128C32EE4DC9F0E8 at xmb-rcd-x01 dot cisco dot com> <87mw4nugdx dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <3FEEC3A37A0B0A48AA326075128C32EE4DC9F137 at xmb-rcd-x01 dot cisco dot com> <869208266 dot 20150210030528 at yandex dot ru> <3FEEC3A37A0B0A48AA326075128C32EE4EE263B8 at xmb-rcd-x01 dot cisco dot com> <20150217104430 dot GU8493 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
>> I ran your commands to recreate /etc/passwd and /etc/group
>Ideally passwd and group are set to "db" only for this, just to be sure.
>> (they now contain 1 line and 3 lines respectively - before it had
>> about 10 & 21 lines in each)
>Hang on. getent group $(id -G) only returns three lines? That's a bit
>weird. How does the output of `id' look like?
I seem to get a couple of answers (see my response to Andrey).
I just ran it now and got 83 lines - it took a few mins.
>> To create a bash terminal window (from cmd) takes about 5-6 minutes.
>> cmd /v:on /c "echo !TIME! & C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe /bin/echo "test" & echo !TIME!"
>> 11:06:59.78 = 5:39.51
>With a running cygserver, how long did it take the second time?
About 1/10 of the second.
>Can you please check again with the cygwin test release 1.7.35-0.2?
>- Set passwd and group to "db" only
>- Set passwd to "files db" and group to "db"
>- Both set to "files db"
Ok, running 1.7.35-0.2
cmd /v:on /c "echo !TIME! & C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe /bin/echo "test" & echo !TIME!"
12:31:09.93 = 0:01.47
Settings = Both = "db"
About 1.65 seconds
Settings = group = "db", passwd = "files db"
About 1.65 seconds
Settings = group = "files db", passwd = "db"
About 1.50 seconds
Settings = group = "files db", passwd = "files db"
About 1.45 seconds
>I think I'm going to create another test version which adds debug output
>to get timings for the LookupAccountName and LDAP calls. The long time
>this takes in some environments is really puzzeling me.
>Would you be willing to run such a test if I provide you with a debug augmented Cygwin DLL?
Yes, I can do that.