This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Very slow Cygwin startup on Windows 7
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 21:38:35 +0300
- Subject: Re: Very slow Cygwin startup on Windows 7
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <3FEEC3A37A0B0A48AA326075128C32EE4DC9F0E8 at xmb-rcd-x01 dot cisco dot com> <87mw4nugdx dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <3FEEC3A37A0B0A48AA326075128C32EE4DC9F137 at xmb-rcd-x01 dot cisco dot com> <869208266 dot 20150210030528 at yandex dot ru> <20150212085431 dot GA10123 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <789353699 dot 20150213033430 at yandex dot ru> <20150213085530 dot GM7818 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!
>> >> If you are accepting suggestions, and up for some experimentation, try this:
>> >> # getent passwd $(id -u) > /etc/passwd
>> >> # getent group $(id -G) > /etc/group
>> >> # echo -e "#\npasswd: files db\ngroup: files db\n" > /etc/nsswitch.conf
>> >> and start bash without cygserver running. Just for test.
>> >> The idea is to have "your" groups in files so that in simple case of (just
>> >> startup" Cygwin don't have to talk to DC all too much. If at all.
>> >> You'd still need to run cygserver to benefit from long-time caching, though.
>> > Do you feel up to the task to extend the FAQ entry
>> > https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.startup-slow
>> > with a description of your solution?
>> I took a liberty to reorder and rewrite it a little.
>> Please tell me, if I didn't lost anything in the process.
> It reads nicely. The paragraph starting with "The 1.7.35 release is
> expected..." needs a tweak as soon as 1.7.35 goes release, of course,
> but otherwise it's really neat.
> The problem is this: The source of the file is not in HTML but in XML,
> see https://sourceware.org/viewvc/src/winsup/doc/faq-setup.xml?view=log
> Any problem to rework for XML and sending as unified patch against the
> latest version of the file from CVS?
I was unable to find relevant CVS tree. The winsup/doc appears to contain the
parts of /cygwin-ug-net/ but not the /faq/ part of the website.
Andrey Repin (email@example.com) 15.02.2015, <21:37>
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple