This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Very slow Cygwin startup on Windows 7
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 01:45:07 +0300
- Subject: Re: Very slow Cygwin startup on Windows 7
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <3FEEC3A37A0B0A48AA326075128C32EE4DC9F0E8 at xmb-rcd-x01 dot cisco dot com> <87mw4nugdx dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <3FEEC3A37A0B0A48AA326075128C32EE4DC9F137 at xmb-rcd-x01 dot cisco dot com> <869208266 dot 20150210030528 at yandex dot ru> <20150212085431 dot GA10123 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <1735738792 dot 20150212224527 at yandex dot ru> <20150212200651 dot GG7818 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!
>> >> [...]
>> >> If you are accepting suggestions, and up for some experimentation, try this:
>> >> # getent passwd $(id -u) > /etc/passwd
>> >> # getent group $(id -G) > /etc/group
>> >> # echo -e "#\npasswd: files db\ngroup: files db\n" > /etc/nsswitch.conf
>> >> and start bash without cygserver running. Just for test.
>> >> The idea is to have "your" groups in files so that in simple case of (just
>> >> startup" Cygwin don't have to talk to DC all too much. If at all.
>> >> You'd still need to run cygserver to benefit from long-time caching, though.
>> > Do you feel up to the task to extend the FAQ entry
>> > https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.startup-slow
>> > with a description of your solution?
>> Sure, if that was really a solution. I'd prefer to hear from Dennis first.
> There's also the patch in Cygwin which *might* help to fix this issue in
> a default configuration without having to tweak /etc/nsswitch.conf.
> That would be the preferred solution, I guess. Just creating a test
> release for that...
I've seen that part of conversation, and I'm considering it in my writeup.
Already got an off-list confirmation from someone else, by the way.
Andrey Repin (firstname.lastname@example.org) 13.02.2015, <01:43>
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple