Re: Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.867)

On 06/02/15 17:56, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Luke Kendall!

A new version of Setup, release 2.867, has been uploaded to

    https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)
    https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)

The changes compared to 2.864 are mostly not visible:

- There's one fix to the output when mistyping a command line option.

- More importantly, Setup now understands SHA512 checksums additionally
    to MD5 checksums.  We're going to switch to using SHA512 checksums in
    the setup.ini files in a couple of weeks and this requires all of you
    to use the newer Setup version.

Please send bug reports, as usual, to the public mailing list
cygwin AT cygwin DOT com.

Have fun,
Corinna

I was just wondering, will you be dropping the md5.sum files from the
package directories at the same time?  I'd be happy to see them
disappear from the mirrors - they're an internal thing, right?  Just
this week I noticed that cygwin64-gcc-4.8.3-4-src.tar.xz's md5 checksum
in its md5.sum file was incorrect (but its md5 in setup.ini was of
course correct).

You're not the first one to notice occasional mirror desyncs.
This question has been raised at least once already.

Though I'm probably the only person on the planet who cares. :-)  It's
just an idle question.

That's just a desync in mirror. Normally fixes itself in a matter of hours.

Actually, our experience is that the errors generally last weeks or even months. E.g. the one I mentioned above has been over a week now. Maybe we simply have bad luck picking mirror sites. :-)

P.S.
Would be wonderful, if you teach your mail agent to insert proper threading
headers.

Hopefully that happened simply because I replied to the message on the Announce list, rather than the one from this ML. So this email should be okay. (I'm using TB 31.4, so I think it knows how to do it.) Sorry about that.

luke

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...