This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.864)
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 01:13:35 +0300
- Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.864)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <announce dot 20150203203556 dot GB14265 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!
> - Introduce an experimental option -m/--mirror-mode.
> If you're running a local mirror from which you're installing via the
> "Install from Local Directory" option, you might have noticed a rather
> long delay (sometimes in the range of minutes) prior to opening the
> package selection dialog with an entirely unresponsive Setup.
> This delay is spent iterating throught the full set of packages and
> testing each package and each packageversion if the underlying package
> file exists in the download directory. If the download directory is,
> in fact, a mirror, these checks don't make sense. With the -m option
> and the Download Source set to "Install from Local Directory", these
> checks are skipped, and the package selection dialog will show up
> almost instantly.
> Please note that this option is provided on a "no guarantee" basis.
> It requires a sane mirror with the packages in sync with its setup.ini
Regarding this change (and the underlying behavior).
I see the key word is "full set of packages". Which makes little sense in case
of upgrading from local archive. But it also makes very little sense, if
upgrading from internet.
What if it would only check packages when it is necessary? I.e.
1. Read installed packages list.
2. Compare to setup.ini, calculate upgrades.
3. Let user make their mind.
4. Calculate dependencies.
5. Download packages. (Skipped if installing from local directory.)
6. Calculate hashes. If any selected package fail the check (damaged or
missing), notify the user and put them back to the package selection screen.
7. If all hashes checked ok' - install packages.
Andrey Repin (firstname.lastname@example.org) 04.02.2015, <00:57>
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple