Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.6

Greetings, Christian Franke!

>>> I disgree.
>>>
>>> Why not keep the old behavior of -l/-L for user names of current machine for
>>> those uses cases which rely on it?
>> You are always free to change the passwd/group files manually:
>>
>>    $ mkpasswd -l | sed -e 's/^[^:]*+//' > /etc/passwd

> Of course, and it is good that this is still possible. But this would
> require that all existing scripts relying on old behavior need to be
> changed.

> I still don't understand why this backward compatibility break of
> "mkpasswd -l" was mandatory.

> Most *-config scripts using "mkpasswd -l -u USER" may need to be
> changed.

Of course. They should not be using that line in first place.
As has been said multiple times, the whole idea is to get rid of the
passwd/group files.

> Local scripts from Cygwin users which use "mkpasswd -l" may
> need to be changed. Scripts tested by maintainers only outside a domain
> may no longer work inside a domain.

These scripts will need to be changed, if broken. No way around it.

> An IMO better way would be to keep the old "mkpasswd -l" behavior and
> invent a new option for the output with the new non-domain/domain prefix
> handling.

That's only because you are turning your back to the change, not for any good
reason.

> Then  a user would be able to "opt-in" for "local users of a domain
> machine always have a prefix" by
>    $ mkpasswd --the-new-local-option > /etc/passwd
> or even simpler:
>    $ > /etc/mkpasswd

> A user could "opt-out" by simply keeping all everything as-is for now :-)

> This IMO would provide a much smother migration path.

And raise even more confusion in years to come.
Better to switch over once and keep it as simple and straight as possible.
It's not like it's an unreasonable change. In fact, it's the change long
overdue.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...