Re: [REQUEST] Please upgrade irssi (0.8.17)

On 10/26/2014 2:23 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 10/25/2014 8:35 PM, Alive wrote:
>> Does anyone use irssi on cygwin?
>>
>> It seems that irssi package is never upgraded.
>>
>> Latest version is 0.8.17. It released on Oct 11 and still no package
>> upgrade after two weeks (skipping 0.8.16 which is missed a long way ago).
>>
>> I don't expect irssi package maintainers to abandon their duty and be
>> irresponsible after volunteering themselves as package maintainers.
>
> cool down, please. "irresponsible" is a strong comment.
>
> irssi was not upgraded upstream for years so probably
> it is not on top of Kostya's list, assuming he has
> spare time to dedicate and he is still around.
>
> Regards
> Marco

Apologize for my rudeness.

My point here is for Cygwin packages to catch up with upstream releases,
if possible make it as fast as how Archlinux adopts a new upstream
release, so that Cygwin users will benefit from developments done by
upstream.

I think it's a good idea to keep Cygwin packages in sync with upstream
release.

To achieve it, package maintainers should have a way to know as soon as
a new upstream release is available, such as subscribing to the upstream
mailing list for a new package release announcement.

By doing this, they can make a test package as soon as a new upstream
release is available and release the package after test package has been
free of serious bug.