This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: run.exe flashes non-hidden console window in cygwin64 on Win7Pro-64
- From: John Wiersba <jrw32982 at yahoo dot com>
- To: Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo dot de>, "cygwin at cygwin dot com" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:44:42 -0700
- Subject: Re: run.exe flashes non-hidden console window in cygwin64 on Win7Pro-64
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1413488630 dot 82429 dot YahooMailNeo at web162806 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <544055FF dot 2030604 at cs dot umass dot edu> <1413517183 dot 86611 dot YahooMailNeo at web162801 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <1413517863 dot 36122 dot YahooMailNeo at web162806 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <54411638 dot 2000104 at cs dot umass dot edu> <1413910316 dot 59036 dot YahooMailNeo at web162803 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <1245475041 dot 20141022173600 at yandex dot ru> <1414010093 dot 92003 dot YahooMailNeo at web162802 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <CAJ1FpuM=aDE0tAPb5Ez_TwW87j8ypBWp_RncETFaDQdNYLYYzA at mail dot gmail dot com> <1606505198 dot 20141023052833 at yandex dot ru> <1414037878 dot 2285 dot YahooMailNeo at web162805 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <1414067059 dot 70749 dot YahooMailNeo at web162802 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <87tx2uu0u5 dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid>
- Reply-to: John Wiersba <jrw32982 at yahoo dot com>
> From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
>John Wiersba writes:
>> Maybe I'm confused. Isn't the purpose of run.exe to start a
>> cygwin program without creating a (visible) console window?
>The purpose of run is to start a Windows program that needs a console to
>exist and hide the console window created by windows if there is no
>console that the program can attach to (which would otherwise clutter
>the taskbar even when minimized).
I believe this fits what I am trying to do. Start a console program (/bin/bash.exe)
without a console being visible, even for a short period of time.
>> I can just start a cygwin program directly without the indirection of
>> run.exe if I don't care about the random flashing console window.
>What are you actually trying to do? Starting mintty from a Windows
>shortcut doesn't produce a console window to start with and you can just
>tell mintty what program you intend to run inside it.
My scenario is to eventually start mintty. But I want to script up the
arguments to mintty so I didn't have to type them into the windows shortcut.
I created a shortcut:
d:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /bin/bash.exe script.sh
(I would prefer: d:\cyginw\run.exe script.sh, but that doesn't work for
where script.sh eventually starts mintty with some command line arguments.
However, I don't want the flashing window before the bash script calls mintty.
Run.exe flashes a console window before (or in the process of) starting bash.
If I don't use run.exe and instead start bash.exe directly with
I get an extra console window. So, run.exe is successfully getting rid of that
extra console window, but in the process it flashes the console window, which
is what I'm trying to get rid of (and I think might be a bug in run.exe).
Additionally, I have other scenarios where I would like to start bash from a
windows shortcut without a flashing console window, even though run.exe is
successful in not leaving a console window on the taskbar.
>+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
>Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:
>Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple