This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: run.exe flashes non-hidden console window in cygwin64 on Win7Pro-64
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Doug Henderson <djndnbvg at gmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 05:28:33 +0400
- Subject: Re: run.exe flashes non-hidden console window in cygwin64 on Win7Pro-64
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1413488630 dot 82429 dot YahooMailNeo at web162806 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <544055FF dot 2030604 at cs dot umass dot edu> <1413517183 dot 86611 dot YahooMailNeo at web162801 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <1413517863 dot 36122 dot YahooMailNeo at web162806 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <54411638 dot 2000104 at cs dot umass dot edu> <1413910316 dot 59036 dot YahooMailNeo at web162803 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <1245475041 dot 20141022173600 at yandex dot ru> <1414010093 dot 92003 dot YahooMailNeo at web162802 dot mail dot bf1 dot yahoo dot com> <CAJ1FpuM=aDE0tAPb5Ez_TwW87j8ypBWp_RncETFaDQdNYLYYzA at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Doug Henderson!
>> Andrey, the flashing console flashes very quickly and I don't know how to slow it down.
>> It appears to have no title and no contents.
Normally, I just fire up a screen recorder in such cases. But I seems to have
missed the beginning of a discussion.
> run appears to work correctly when you use it at a cygwin shell prompt.
> run.exe is a cygwin executable; use ldd see the DLLs that it uses.
> Since your shortcut is not starting a windows GUI program, it starts a
> console window, possibly executing cmd.exe
Depends on the way shortcut is constructed... I don't think it ever touch
cmd.exe, there's no need to do so. But the console window is really the
run.exe itself. Most, if not all, of Cygwin applications are in fact "console
applications" in Windows terms.
> Have you tried changing the shortcut to cause it to open the window
> minimized? I vaguely remember doing something like that with the
> cygwin.bat clone I used to start a (non-X windows) rxvt window.
That may at least alleviate the window flashing in the face of a user.
Andrey Repin (email@example.com) 23.10.2014, <5:25>
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple