This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin install crashes & reboots without leaving a trace
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Arend Rensink <arend dot rensink at utwente dot nl>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 17:13:38 +0400
- Subject: Re: Cygwin install crashes & reboots without leaving a trace
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <5423D681 dot 9000707 at utwente dot nl> <20140925101803 dot GA9828 at dinwoodie dot org> <5424082F dot 7020709 at utwente dot nl>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Arend Rensink!
>> I would be looking very hard at whatever virus protection you have.
>> The fact that the setup-*.exe is being removed makes me think some
>> third party program is killing the installer and deleting the
>> executable; that's just not something the installer will do.
> Yes, in te meanwhile I looked a bit further and found out that that's
> precisely what happens. The corresponding message is:
>> 25-9-2014 10:54:05 Quarantined legal software that can be used by
>> criminals to damage your computer or personal data
>> PDM.Worm.P2P.generic C:\CYGWIN\SETUP-X86.EXE
> (I don't suppose there is a worm, but you might be interested in knowing
> about this false positive.)
Kaspersky "Antivirus" is notoriously known for protecting the users from
Also, ".Generic" is a sign that the detection was based on heuristics.
Andrey Repin (email@example.com) 25.09.2014, <17:11>
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple